Saturday, August 20, 2011

Peach Pie

We have a potluck tonight up the hill.  I am looking forward to meeting more people and having a chance to socialize, but you are supposed to bring something to a potluck. At home I would see this as an opportunity to make one of my favorite things, but at home I have pots and pans, at home I have a sharp knife and I know how to work the oven.  I have been thinking about what to bring to this potluck for almost the entire time I have been in Turkey.  I think I learned about it in the car on the way from the airport.  I could just buy something, no one would bat an eye, I am new, I dont have my stuff, it can be explained.  I could probably show up with nothing for much the same reasons.  But I cant.  Being a good cook is part of my self identity, that and I am an over achiever.  So peach pie!

I bought flour, sugar and butter at the grocery store yesterday.  The school left some peaches for me in my fridge, and I bought a few more at the local market, this should be easy!  Easy as pie. 

Step one, make the crust.  The only measuring cup I have is 1/2 c, no problem, I can estimate 1/3 c cold water, and everything else is an integer multiple of 1/2.  No pastry blender, no problem, I used a knife and then my fingers.  Next to roll it out, I brought my rolling pin, but I dont have a board or a pastry cloth, or even saran wrap - but I do have a plastic grocery bag from the market.  Pie pan?  No, but I do have a round shallow bowl I could use, who cares if it is too deep!  Ok, step two, the peaches.  I do have a pan for the stove, so I heat up some water in my electric kettle and eventually figure out how to turn the stove on.  Peaches blanched.  Three of them peel easily, one, more fresh than the others does not.  Its ok, I can use a knife.  If I had a knife...  A butter knife was the best I could do and it worked.

Ok, pie assembled and the oven is preheating.  Or at least I turned the knob, but it's not hot.  Turn another knob, push a button while turning a knob... no, still not hot.  Phone a friend, knock on the neighbors door... no one has any idea.  So lets go shopping!  Two hours, two trash cans and an ice cream later, I take the pie across the hall to Christine and Danny's apartment and bake it there.  Lane, who used to live in this apartment will be back in two weeks and might know how to work the oven.  Until then, I guess I am on the stove.

2 comments:

  1. Heather,

    What a beautiful pie! Yum. Glad you both made it there safe and sound. By the way, I think you have a wonderful writing style; so, I for one am looking forward to reading your blog.

    The slide show at the bottom was a little small. Is there a way to full screen it? I'll try a few more times; the photos look great and I just wanted to see them a little better.

    Also, regarding the name of your blog, perhaps you might want to take in a comedic video that is aptly titled "Istanbul not Constantinople": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n7ylyAfSqs

    Enjoy.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that pie looks *delicious*!

    ReplyDelete