Friday, August 19, 2011

First Impressions

Orange and I have now lived in Istanbul for almost 24 hours. I am being well taken care of, and am well scheduled, but first impressions have away of dissipating if they are not written down quickly, so I want to capture them while they are fresh.

With broad strokes, I could be almost anywhere big city. It is warm and a bit humid, but really very pleasant. The roads are narrow, winding and steep, I can see why I was warned against biking here. The Bosporus is beautiful and blue and just across the street from my apartment (which faces the other way). The campus of Robert College is beautiful, many many trees and places to walk - not that I have been allowed to walk anywhere yet. My apartment is larger than I was anticipating, with four rooms and lots of storage. It is clean and has been recently painted. I appreciate the fresh wall feeling and am looking forward to the fumes going away.

I was picked up at the airport by the head master and a driver. Getting through customs and passport control was easy and no one even looked at the cat or her papers. It took only 40 minutes to get from the airport to the college which was a gift no one expected. John helped me unload and carry my luggage up to Yali 4 on the first floor, so up one flight of stairs. I did a little unpacking, made my bed and connected to email before John picked me Janelle (a new German teacher) up again for dinner at his house in the upper part of campus.

We sat outside with a view of the Bosporus and snacked on American microwave popcorn while the sun set and the wood chips (not charcoal) heated up on the barbecue. The breeze was lovely and there were no bugs. We learned about the troubles that Janelle had with her baggage and some about the school admission process works. Dinner was chicken kabobs with grilled vegetables, cucumber salad and bread which Cenk (pronounced Jenk) brought. We were returned to lower campus at 10pm and I was ready for bed. Unfortunately where the bed goes, there was a bed shaped rock, it is a good thing I was so tired.

This morning we were picked up to meet the head of HR Arlin, with whom we have been corresponding for the last 6 months to finish up the paper work. This was my first in person glimpse of the campus and it is very stately. The buildings were built in the early 20th century and most of them are connected by one long hallway. After paperwork Janelle and I made our way to John's office and Tania took us to tech and then to the Migros grocery store.

Well, I am being picked up again now to get a tax ID and see campus this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. It is so fun to be reading your blog after having written such a similar blog a few years ago. Brings back so many memories of how it felt to do what you're doing. Turkey is certainly more adventurous than London. Soak it all in. Before you know it, it ain't gonna feel new anymore!

    ReplyDelete