Saturday, October 1, 2011

Flag Ceremony

Our school week starts and ends with the flag ceremony. Since there is no indoor venue which will hold the entire school at once, the flag ceremony is split by grade. The Lise Prep students have their own in the little theater in Bingham, the L9 and L10s meet together and the L11 and L12 are together in the big theaterat different times. This facilitates announcements as well.

On Monday morning the first flag ceremony is at 8 and students then go to class at 8:15, so flag ceremony takes the place of homeroom. The older students go to flag ceremony at 8:40 so their first class isn’t until 9. On Fridays the LP, L9 and L10 have their flag ceremony at 3:20, right after school but the 11s and 12s have flag ceremony at the beginning of their lunch, at 1pm, this is the ceremony that I need to take attendance at.

In the theater the students sit in assigned seats according to their homeroom. I am responsible for section 6 of L11, of which I know two students. Fortunately for me, they sit in the very last row of the balcony on the left hand side, 11 in the middle section, 11 on the far left. On the first Friday, they were not sure where to sit, so I handed my attendance to Behiç, (be careful how you pronounce that name, remembering that ç is said ch…) a student I knew and he organized everyone into their seats. It shouldn't be that hard, it is alphabetical. In theory, I shouldn't have to know these students at all, I just look for the empty seats, I record if they are absent and put my slip in a box by the door. If they are not in the right seat, and their seat is empty, they are marked absent. I am not sure what the consequence for that is, but I don’t think they'll be in the wrong seat for long.

So, after all of this detail, you are now dying to know what happens at the flag ceremony, right? Notice how I have built up the anticipation. It starts with announcements from the Head Master and the Turkish director, then anyone (students or staff) can make an announcement by previous arrangement. ;I am starting a trumpet club, here is a little bit of trumpet music,' 'we are starting a peace club, if you don’t join us, you must love war,' or 'remember the dress code and only wear single colored socks,' etc.

Then two students, one boy, one girl, from the chosen homeroom class, come to the front and everyone in the room stands up. The boy is wearing a sash and they take the flag out of the stand, set it in the sash flag holder. He then clasps the flag with both hands, thumbs pointing down, such that the flag is at about a 45 degree angle. Then the music starts. An instrumental version of the national anthem plays through the loud speakers and everyone sings with their hands down by their sides, standing up tall. When it is finished, they wait patiently while the flag is returned to the stand before they relax and leave the theater.

Here is a link to the lyrics and history of the anthem on Wikipedia:


Here is a link to a audio recording of it being sung:


Somehow the instrumental version we use at school seems darker, and the kids sing it lower, but you get the idea.

The kids take this very seriously, there are no hands in pockets, no talking no slouching, nothing. I have yet to see the flag ceremony from the front, I think it might be overwhelming. On one hand it is clear that national pride is very important, on the other hand it is a little scary.

I was talking about this with some of the other teachers and we were comparing to America as we are wont to do.  I think there is a lot of national pride, maybe too much, much of it manifested in an us vs. them mentality, but I can’t think of anything like the Turkish flag ceremony.

 I can remember saying the pledge of allegiance every morning in elementary school, but not in middle school, and certainly not high school. (Do they still do this?) I feel funny saying it on the rare occasions we are required to. (Wasn't it part of Obama's inauguration?) Now, stopping to think,(and I can say the whole thing without looking it up) it is not just the controversial, ‘under one God’ line that bothers me, and it isn’t the message, who can get upset with ‘justice and liberty for all’? I think it is the automatons we become when we all say it together.  Perhaps this is what freaks me out a little during the flag ceremony.

But what about the national anthem? We don't sing it very often, except at sporting events, but why is that, we wondered at book club last week. Felicia did a bit of research and found this article: http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6957582/the-history-national-anthem-sports-espn-magazine which explains why the national anthem is sung at baseball games and by extension, other sporting events. I was surprised to learn that it was sung at baseball games before it was the national anthem. Whenever I sing that song it makes me cry, I guess out of national pride, so that elementary school national pride indoctrination must have been sufficient.

Sometimes it is hard to be ‘Proud to be an American’, we have done so many things as a country that I am far from proud of.  So it sounds like I am conflicted, there certainly are places in the US, where national pride is very overt.  When I was visiting my Uncle, Aunt and Cousin in Utah, we took a trip up to Preston, Wyoming, home of the famous Night Rodeo where national pride was dripping off every cowboy hat and belt buckle.  I felt as uncomfortable with the jingoism there as I do during the flag ceremony here.  Perhaps it is the blind obedience that bothers me the most. 

Wow, I didn’t expect to go there with this blog post.  I think I’ll have to end with Finlandia, a song which I really like and I appreciate that Grace sang it on the 10th anniversary of 9/11.  This is the Indigo Girls version, one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mINZkelXaA4




No comments:

Post a Comment